Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Real Men, DO Cry



Our city just folded before a decision. Before the trial, we were assured this was all about enforcing a lease - that dollars could not be put on our love for the oldest professional team in City. Maybe they knew something we didn't, I wouldn't bet on it.

Nichols said the NBA told him that a renovated Key would be a viable stadium in the league. That comes as a surprise. I thought only 100% publicly financed 500 million dollar stadiums were necessary for a team to make a living in today's NBA.

Nichol's can't save face in this, he can't act like he gives a rats ass. I'm not buying it, he himself admitted to only going to two games in the last decade! He's the goddamn mayor of the City, and he probably only made it out to 1 game in 2004. It's really surprising that for a mayor notorious for pandering to developers like no other, he didn't rally harder for this team and a new world class facility. But then again, he never gave a shit to begin with.

I'm really stoked that Starbucks is closing 600 stores, a very good start indeed. Every time I see a Dunkin Donuts commercial, I say to myself "build it, I will go." Tully's is my option now, that and little underground coffee stands. Schultz, you chicken fat spineless fakest wannabe owner there ever was, you suck! You're one of the bad guys here! I remember feeling good after you first purchased the team, you'd pacing the courtside in your ivy league sweater vests, high fiving fans - I bought it all. Then when it was bad times a few years in a row, you sold the team! The only person that knew this team was leaving more than us, was you... YOU! Kahhhhhhhhhn!!!!!!!

Only now, can we make a decision - because the band-aid has been ripped off. You have a couple of options.
  1. Sit at home and cry jinks hoping that Stern plants another team here once we come up with our arena solution.
  2. Ignore the fucking NBA altogather.
  3. Or the worst of the worst, become a Blazers fan. They deserve more than that, this was a true rivalry we had going, you can't root for them, its not right!
Lets look at the bigger picture my friends, the NBA model is busted. Plain and simple. And the precedent set with the Supes is a dangerous move for the league. If large market teams keep moving to small market cities, where the owners don't have to compete with the NFL and MLB, the league will die. Imagine the LA v Boston rivalry, now imagine that were the Oklahoma City v Omaha rivalry. Yep, its one busted model if the trend continues.

I'm for choice two out of pure spite. Lets put the choke hold on the league and deny them the luxury of putting their product in our city again. The good times I've had, those were good times. Let's not make the same mistake twice.

As my grandfather once put it, "I've been married three times, and divorced three times. Either I'm a bad husband or a piss poor judge of character. I dont need a fourth wife to find out which."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

http://img202.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-28297/loc514/40187_IMG_2818_122_514lo.jpg