Monday, April 14, 2008

Sonics… ‘Nuff Said

When I was a youth growing up in Seattle, my Aunt had season tickets. Every year around my birthday she always admonished my father and I with a pair. Often times this was the only game I would see live all season. I looked forward to it every year.

The first game I ever saw, the Sonics defeated the Portland Trailblazers. That one game permanently established my allegiance in the I-5 rivalry. Even now, with Portland swelling with young talent and character, there is a part of me that wishes them the worst.

There was a year in which I received an autograph from every single player on the team. No kidding. The first time I ever had anyone personally autograph anything for me.

On that night, my Aunt’s tickets happened to be one row down from famed Northwest author, Tom Robbins. The Sonics were destroying the Milwaukee Bucks. Bored (and probably drunk) my father sent me down to procure his autograph. Not only did the man sign my program, (the edition from the year before) but he had his assistant take us to the locker room after the game.

Michael Cage offered me his shoes.

Benoit Benjamin got out of his car, just for me.

Shawn Kemp patted my head and commented on my “Legend of Zelda” mesh cap I got out of a cereal box.

The only player I did not approach that night was Dana Barros. He was my favorite at the time, because he excelled despite being undersized. He was with a girl that night and I did not want to bother him. That girl was Brandy Norwood aka Ray J’s sister.

And then there was the year that I went to the 1992- 1993 Western Conference Finals. That was the year the Sonics recorded “Not in Our House” with Sir Mix A Lot. A belated gift from Aunty, before the game my father told me that we could each make $200 if we scalped the tickets. It did not even register as an option to me.

I screamed all night until my voice turned to a nasty squeal like that of Ned Beatty’s in “Deliverance.”

We lost that game. Adding insult to injury, I got dripped on the whole game by a small hole in the Coliseum ceiling. That same hole was one of many nuances that prompted the construction of the Key Arena.

Every year I would watch this team. I watched them grow. I saw them flounder. I lived through the Vin Baker era. I cheered for the Ray Allen era. Seeing the team pull out possibly the last win ever in Seattle brings me great hope for the Kevin Durant era.

Whatever will happen, will happen. I have made peace with this. I am not Bill Simmons. I have no clout.

If anything I just wanted to reminisce on some great moments I had in Sonics history. Because when things are all said and done, they will always be with me. Thanks guys.

No comments: